The government moved African National Congress (ANC) leader Nelson Mandela from the Constantiaberg private clinic in Cape Town, where he had been recovering from tuberculosis, to a house on the grounds of the Victor Verster Prison, near Paarl, east of Cape Town, where he was given a large warder's house to live in (with a swimming pool and a big garden) as well as a personal cook.
Mandela is moved to Victor Verster prison
Wednesday, 7 December 1988
This Day In History dates for TODAY
- 1838 Gert Maritz (41), Voortrekker leader, dies.
- 1867 Anna Tempo is born
- 1913 Women protest against passes in the Free State
- 1941 Navanethem (Navi) Pillay is born
- 1948 Paul Michael Sibisi, SA artist and teacher involved in setting up cultural art workshops in Natal, is born.
- 1970 South African Political activist, James Sofasonke Mpanza dies
- 1979 Worldwide speculation begins that a bright flash detected over the southern Indian Ocean was a South African nuclear test
more dates like these...