The Star newspaper appeared for the first time in Johannesburg as The Eastern Star. It was founded in Grahamstown under that title on January 6, 1871, and was moved to the Witwatersrand sixteen years later by its owners, brothers Thomas and George Sheffield. In 1889, the name Eastern Star was changed to the one currently in use. The paper is distributed mainly in Gauteng and other provinces such as Mpumalanga, Limpopo, and KwaZulu-Natal, where readership seems to be growing daily.
• The Inc (2012), The Star 1887-2012 years of "telling it like it is", 6 February, from The INC News Article, [online], Available at www.theinc.co.za [Accessed: 16 October 2013]