You are here
White referendum in Southern Rhodesia is overwhelmingly in support of Ian Smith’s proposal for independence.
In the German village of Herrnhut, religious reformer Count Nicolaus von Zinzendorf, aged 27, organises a group of Bohemian Pro In the German village of Herrnhut, religious refor...
Olof Martini Bergh (63), secretary of the Political Council and acting fiscal and auctioneer, dies in Cape Town. Olof Martini Bergh (63), secretary of the Politica...
Ahmed Mahomed Cachalia, businessman, community leader and staunch opponent of the Asiatic Registration Act, born in poverty in Ahmed Mahomed Cachalia, businessman, community lea...
More Events On This Day
- 1795 Cape district of Graaf
- 1835 Newton Adams, missionary and first medical doctor in Natal arrives with his wife and other missionaries
- 1838 Zulu King Dingane orders the killing of Piet Retief’s men
- 1901 San involvement in the Battle of Chrissiesmeer
- 1979 P.W. Botha offers to resign
- 1980 The Minister of Cooperation and Development, Dr. Piet Koornhof, announces the lifting of the ‘72-hour curfew’
- 1993 Arthur Robert Ashe Jr, prominent African American tennis player and vocal protester of apartheid, dies
more dates like these...