The village of Clarkebury was established in 1830 as a station of the Wesleyan Methodist Missionary Society. James Backhouse visited it in March 1839 and made the following report :
"The station of Clarkbury was commenced about 1831. It consists of a decent, brick Mission-house with a colonnade in front, a chapel, also of brick, but plastered with mud, and having a paper-felt roof, two or three rude cottages, and numerous (Xhosa) huts. About one hundred Tambookie families resided here at this time."