Niewoudtville

(prior to 1910)

The village of Nieuwoudtville was established in 1897 on the farm Groenrivier which, as the name implies, was sited on the banks of the Groen River. The area had also been known previously as as Groene Rivier, Bokkeveld, Onder Bokkeveld and Groen River (Onder Bokkeveld), and was located on the Bokkeveld escarpment. It was named after the Nieuwoudt family, who owned the land until 1897, when it was purchased by the Dutch Reformed Church who developed it as a kerkplaats (church farm).

On 20 June 1901 Boer forces entered the village and ransacked its post office, inflicting extensive damage to its establishment. Five months later, on 25 November, Boer commandos under General JC Smuts returned to Nieuwoudtville where, by all accounts, they are reported to have been well received by its residents. They remained in occupation until at least 4 January 1902.


References:
• Prepared by Franco Frescura

Last updated : 12-Dec-2011

This article was produced for South African History Online on 16-Mar-2011