- 4 July, Henry Barber and his cousin Fred discovers Barberton
- Small hut prison is established
- The first traces of alluvial Gold are found by Tom McLachlan.
- 4 April, First newspaper, the Barberton Herald, is published.
- 1 October, First post office opened
- Eureka City is built
- 13 April, First Gold Exchange building in South Africa opens in Barberton
- 13 October, Railway from Kaapmurden to Barberton begins
- Female prison is established
Dear friends of SAHO
South African History Online (SAHO) needs your support.
SAHO is one of the most visited websites in South Africa with over 6 million unique users a year. Our goal is to fulfill our mandate and continue to build, and make accessible, a new people’s history of South Africa and Africa.
Please help us deliver this by contributing upwards of $1.00 a month for the next 12 months.