The South African 46664 concert, 46664 being the prison number of South African president Nelson Mandela during the apartheid era, was staged at the exclusive golf resort of Fancourt, just outside George, Western Cape, on the Garden Route. Its theme highlighted the plight of women and girls, who are six times more likely to be infected with the Aids virus than men in South Africa. The concert was made possible through the generous support of Fancourt owner and philanthropist, Professor Hasso Platter, who not only gave the venue free of charge, but also contributed generously to the cost of the concert to ensure that 100% of the ticket revenue could be donated to the Nelson Mandela Foundation. The event saw the coming together of international acclaimed artists and a host of local talent. The Master of Ceremonies was the recently appointed 46664 Ambassador and American movie star, Will Smith.
46664 concert is held in Fancourt
Saturday, 19 March 2005
This Day In History dates for TODAY
- 1861 Henry Francis Fynn, Natal pioneer and settler, dies in Durban
- 1886 First mines are proclaimed in Johannesburg
- 1914 General Koos de la Rey, buried in Lichtenburg amid a very tense atmosphere.
- 1915 WWI: battalion consisting of ‘Cape Coloured men’, called the Cape Corps, is established
- 1960 ”Unknown” White man is hanged in Pretoria
- 1978 South African Prime Minister, John Vorster resigns
- 1989 F.W. De Klerk is inaugurated
more dates like these...