24 April 1821
After magistrate Andries Stockenstrom had donated a piece of land and six windows, building started on the Dutch Reformed Mission Church in Graaff-Reinet. The corner stone was laid on this date and the historic four-gabled church building was completed later in the same year. In 1965 Dr Anton Rupert prevented the breaking down of the church and restored it to its former glory. The building has since been converted into an art museum and named the Hester Rupert Art Museum in honour of Rupert's mother. It is the 6th oldest building in South Africa and houses some of the best paintings and graphic works of South African artists.