Edenburg is founded

Home > Dated Event > Edenburg is founded
Monday, 24 February 1862

The church village Edenburg in the Orange Free State was established when the farm Rietfontein was purchased to build a church. The initial application for recognition of Edenburg as a town was rejected by the Volksraad, but permission was finally granted on 4 March 1863. Municipal status was only attained in 1891. The economy of the town revolves around sheep and cattle farming. The oldest mission station of the Berlin Mission Society north of the Orange River is located 16km north of the town. There is uncertainty around the origin of the name of the town. The most likely explanation is that it refers to the Garden of Eden of the Bible. However, others believe that it is an Afrikaans version of Edinburgh in Scotland.

References:
• Potgieter, D.J. et al. (eds)(1970). Standard Encyclopaedia of Southern Africa, Cape Town: NASOU, v. 4, p. 214.
• SA Places, Edenburg, from -South African Places CC-, [online], Available at www.places.co.za [Accessed: 30 January 2014]

Last updated : 22-Feb-2017

This article was produced by South African History Online on 16-Mar-2011

Support South African History Online

Donate and Make African History Matter

South African History Online is a non profit organisation. We depend on public support to build our website into the most comprehensive educational resource and encyclopaedia on African history.

Your support will help us to build and maintain partnerships with educational institutions in order to strengthen teaching, research and free access to our content.



Donate.