26 January 1896
A teacher training college in South Africa opened on 26 January 1896, in Wellington, in the Western Cape, South Africa. It was a settlement of the 1688 French Huguenot refugees and this region was known as: 'Limiet Vallei'. Dr. Andrew Murray, a Minister in the Dutch Reformed Church, was instrumental in developing early tertiary education in South Africa especially for women, making Wellington famous as an education centre in the country. The foundation stone for the building, Murray Hall, was laid on 19 November 1874. This building also served as a hostel for girls and women, the Huguenot University College and the Teachers Training College and is now part of the Boland College of Education.
Wellington Museum, Education, from Wellington Museum, [online], Available at media1.mweb.co.za/wellingtonmuseum [Accessed: 23 January 2014]