15 February 1986
Pretoria University developed from the Pretoria branch of the Transvaal University College. The branch was established in 1908 and has since developed into a fully functional world class University. The medium of communication was Afrikaans and the University was exclusively for Afrikaans speaking population until the mid-eighties. On 15 February 1986, the university admitted its first twenty black students. It has since opened a campus in Hammanskraal which caters for black students, and in 2004, it merged with the defunct Vista University’s Mamelodi Campus. Today the university has three languages of communication, Afrikaans, English and Sepedi.