Dr Hoosen Mia Haffejee

Posted by tinashe on

Biographical information

Dr Hoosen Mia Haffejee Image source


Political activist, dentist and political detainee.

First name: 
Middle name: 
Last name: 
Date of birth: 
Location of birth: 
Pietermaritzburg,Kwazulu-Natal,South Africa
Date of death: 
Location of death: 
Pietermaritzburg,Kwazulu-Natal,South Africa
26 ANC
Cause Of Death: 
Suicide by hanging

Hoosen Mia Haffejee was born on 6 November 1950. Haffejee grew up in Pietermaritzburg and completed his primary schooling at St. Paul’s School and Marion School. He finished his secondary schooling at Woodlands where he matriculated in 1965.  In 1966, he relocated to India to undertake his tertiary education. Haffejee enrolled for inter-science at the Bhavan's College in Bombay and thereafter went Nagpur to study Dentistry.

While in India, Haffejee participated in sporting activities representing his university in hockey. Perhaps more importantly, he was elected as the Student Representative Council.    Before returning to South Africa in 1976 he travelled to Pakistan, Afghanistan, Turkey and London. Securing employment after his return to proved to be difficult and opted for an internship at Durban’s King George V Hospital.

His political affiliation is unclear but according to his older brother Yusuf Haffejee, he was politically active whilst he was in school and played an instrumental role in organising a number of student protests in Northdale. It seems Hafeeje continued his political activism on his return from India and thus he was under police surveillance. On the morning of 3rd of August 1977 he was arrested by the Special Branch under the Terrorism Act on suspicion of being a trained saboteur and of plotting to overthrow the state. The police found him in possession of "subversive documents" advocating a revolution to establish a socialist people's republic. He was dead within twenty hours of his arrest.

The 26-year-old dentist was found hanging from his trousers from a grille door at Durban's Brighton Beach police station on 3 August 1977. An inquest into his death ensued. Captain James Taylor and Captain P.L. du Toit, the two Security Branch policemen, who made the arrest and interrogated Haffajee denied that they had tortured him during interrogation. The pathologist reported that the death was consistent with hanging. Yet, the report also stated that Haffajee sustained multiple injuries and that approximately sixty wounds covered his body - on his back, knees, arms and head. On the 15 March 1978, Mr Blunden, the inquest magistrate concluded that Haffajee died of suicide by hanging and that the injuries were unconnected and collateral to his death. Blunden claimed that:

"...submissions that other injuries found on the dentist's body were due to third degree methods, were pure speculation unsupported by evidence."

However, Dr. Haffejee’s death was symptomatic of the brutality employed by the security police during Apartheid. His tragic death devastated his family whilst at the same time raising their political consciousness. In a letter to the Natal Witness, penned in 1978, Haffajee’s mother wrote:

            "I think the time has arrived for us, the blacks, to pray that God will open a door to protect our destiny from the cruel injustice of the South African Security Police.  I hope our prayers are answered before it's too late for us all.  As a grieving mother I cannot forget this terrible ordeal.  My heart will always cry for my son."

In the 1990s, Dr Haffajee’s death in detention came before the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. Evidence before the Commission suggested that Haffajee in all probability died as a result of torture. Former Security Branch policeman Mohun Deva Gopal gave evidence before the Commission and informed them that he was present whilst Haffajee was interrogated, assaulted and tortured. Gopal maintained that Captain Taylor initiated the assault. Haffajee was stripped naked, Captain Taylor then proceeded to slap and punch him when he refused to divulge any information. Captain Du Toit joined in later and the assault became more vicious lasting many hours.

Haffajee was steadfast in his silence. The perpetrators then prepared their stories Du Toit instructed them to say that Haffajee had tried to escape and in so doing, had hit his body on the car. Captain James Taylor was subpoenaed to appear before the TRC but denied all allegations of assault and continued to maintain that, at the time of his death, Haffajee was in the custody of members of the uniformed branch. Taylor did not apply for amnesty in this regard.

• Sithole. J, The ANC Underground in Natal as published in The Road to Democracy in South Africa, Vo2 (1970-1980), (Paarl- Zebra Press)
• Human Rights Violation Hearings, from SAHA,[online] Available at https://sabctrc.saha.org.za  [Accessed 02 December 2011]
• SAPA, (1996), Truth Body asked to probe death of dentist in detention, 8 May, [online] Available at https://www.justice.gov.za/trc/media/1996/9605/s960508i.htm[Accessed 02 December 2011]
• Report of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, Volume 3,
• Interview with Yusuf Haffajee by Christiaan de Vos, Voices of Resistance, Oral History Project, University of Durban-Westville, 25 May 2002.

Last updated : 05-Jul-2018

This article was produced by South African History Online on 01-Mar-2012

Support South African History Online

Donate and Make African History Matter

South African History Online is a non profit organisation. We depend on public support to build our website into the most comprehensive educational resource and encyclopaedia on African history.

Your support will help us to build and maintain partnerships with educational institutions in order to strengthen teaching, research and free access to our content.