Adelaide

Home > Place > Adelaide

NG Kerk in Main Road in early times of AdelaideImage source

A rural town some 91km north of Grahamstown, Eastern Cape! The area of Adelaide, was first inhabited by bushmen, estamated about the year 1530-1760. In the late 18th and 19th century the Xhosa and White Settlers arrived. The Bushmen were displaced and no longer found in the area. A British officer named Captian Alexander Boswell Armstrong, (1787-1862). Founded a military post there and named it Fort Adelaide in 1834. After the wife of King William IV. Despite the earlier English settlers, who were part of the 1820 Settlers later on, a large numbers of both Scottish and Afrikaans people soon immigrated here too. The Scottish were the first to erect a church in the area. Adelaide gradually attained municipal status in 1896. Today there is a population of over 12 000 people!


References:
• New Dictionary of South Afican Names by Peter E Raper Census 2011.
Google map: 

Last updated : 07-Oct-2016

This article was produced by South African History Online on 15-Sep-2016

Support South African History Online

Donate and Make African History Matter

South African History Online is a non profit organisation. We depend on public support to build our website into the most comprehensive educational resource and encyclopaedia on African history.

Your support will help us to build and maintain partnerships with educational institutions in order to strengthen teaching, research and free access to our content.



Donate.