Town in the Victoria east district, on the Tyume River, some 120km north-west, of East London. It was named in 1847, according to some authorities, by the Governor, Sir Peregrine Maitland, after Princess Alice, the 2nd daughter of Queen Victoria; and according to other sources by Sir Henry George Wakelyn Smith, after his sister Mrs. Alice Sargent! Municipal status was attained in 1852.

References

New Dictionary of South African Names by Peter E Raper

Alice