The Town of Boksburg was founded in 1887 as the Administrative Centre of the East Rand. It is the second oldest Town on the Witwatersrand. Boksburg was an important Mining Town with coal and some gold Mining taking place. Coal mining was the most important mining operation. Towards the 20th Century, the economy of the Town diversified to incorporate manufacturing of railroad equipment, electrical and metal goods, clay products, canned foods, and refined petroleum. In 1903 Boksburg became a Municipality, which was later incorporated into the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality after the introduction of non racial local Government across South Africa in 2001.
It was named after the State Secretary of the South African Republic, W. Eduard Bok. The Main Reef Road linked Boksburg to other major mining towns on the Witwatersrand and the Angelo Hotel was used as a staging post. The town has since become one of the most important gold-producing towns on the Witwatersrand. Boksburg is ideally positioned between the N12 and N17 highways, offering visitors an easy commute to and from major towns, including Brakpan, Benoni, Germiston, Alberton, and Johannesburg.
These include the Old Post Office, the Law Court, St Michaels and All Angels Anglican Church, Hechter-Shuiz Museum, and a few gold mines. Other places of interest in Boksburg include the Tambo Memorial Hospital (previously called Boksburg Benoni Hospital).
One of the premier features of Boksburg is the large dam built by Mining Commissioner, Montague White. It stood empty for many years, until a flash flood in 1889. The 150,000m² Dam is now known as the Boksburg Lake and is surrounded by lush lawns; a perfect spot for boating, fishing, water sports, and hiking.