Delgoa Bay is a Bay on the South East coast of Mozambique, East Africa, near the South African border. Discovered by António do Campo, a member of Vasco da Gama’s expedition (1502), it was first explored by Lorenzo Marques, a Portuguese trader, in 1544. It was important as an outlet for ivory and slaves, as a way station for Indian Ocean trade, and as an avenue of approach to South African diamond fields and goldfields. Ownership was contested by the Portuguese, Dutch, English, and Boers until by arbitration (1875) it was awarded to Portugal.
32° 26' 38.4", -26° 4' 22.8"