This complex dates from 1892 and includes the church building, Cornelia House, and the William Frederick School. It was built by the Tafelberg Congregation and was inaugurated on 27 January 1893. Initially the property was given in trust to the Nieuwe Kerk by Suzanna Hertzog, on condition that once a self-supporting DRC congregation was established in the area its ownership would be transferred to it. Dr JD Vorster, a former professor, rightly remarked that Miss Hertzog was the "mother" of this Church. This lady, after the death of her parents, decided to honor their memory in an extraordinary way by focusing on the church, built on the site that was where their home.
Miss Hertzog, died at the age of 59. With her death, a local newspaper, the Cape Times said her to be; one of the "Aristocratic Dutch" and reported on January 9, 1897, that: "She was very gentle in her habits and manners, courting privacy and avoiding publicity whilst being a marvelous business woman!" She spared no expense in the construction and furnishing of the Church building! A beautiful example of late 19th-century Victorian architecture, with its complex's facades and detail work! The tiling on the front porch and in the two arches of the Church is unique, in the sense that it depicts portions of the Bible. On the front porch an old-fashioned scale and the crow are portrayed, (which brought food for Elijah). The tiles in the arches, symbolize the crucifixion! On one wing of the church, eight rooms are named after Mrs. Hertzog's mother; Cornelia, set aside for poor women. On the other wing of the building, three school rooms are situated, the William Frederick Schools-named, after her father. The school performed its educational task for 14 years and was closed in 1907. The Cornelia rooms today, are used as a church office and storerooms while the school rooms as a parent room, vestry and multipurpose kitchen use. On the second floor of the front of the church, are two comfortable apartments built - one for the then caretaker and one for then teacher of the school. The furniture for the aparments was ordered from Scotland while the chairs for the church, from Boston. All of the original chairs are all still in use, in the church gallery! In addition, Ms. Hertzog also furnished these apartments with a piano, different clocks, beautiful small tables and crockery, with the stamp of the Church thereon. Many of these items are still in the Church's possession today though to have remained a hundred years and more with the crockery still being intact!
The pipe organ with its beautiful wood casing and its 1,164 pipes deserves special mention. On April 11, 1892 a Mr WJ Hadfield signed a contract for the instulation of the organ. The organ has been rebuilt twice. A special feature of the organ is the original hand-painted front pipes and the 54 horizontal trumpet valves that extends across the church generously as copper wings. Comprehensive restoration of the exterior of the church was completed a few years ago. Repairs on the inside range from - the two grand for rooms being restored, a multi-purpose kitchen, which is well equipped, having been added! The church's windows have also been replaced with stained glass! Two chandeliers (based on the originals, removed years ago) have been reinstalled!
Although services were held there regularly thereafter, the Tafelberg congregation only came into being on 25 October 1944. The complex was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 16 March 1984.