Ebenezer was established in 1831 as a station of the Rhenish Missionary Society. The 1875 census indicated that the Village had a population of 291. It was visited by James Backhouse in March 1840, when he reported that:
"The missionary-station of Ebenezer, was an original kraal of (Khoikhoi); it was secured to them along with a tract of land, by the Government, which also gave a charge over it to the Rhenish Missionary Society. Several of the people were living in huts built of reeds, which were more substantial dwellings than mat huts, but not transportable. A windmill was about to be erected on a low rounded hill "
The name is of biblical origin, (1 Samuel 7:12) and means 'stone of help'. Also spelt Ebenhaesar or Ebenhaezer.
Ebenezer Dam is a popular and particularly pretty dam visited often by locals and visitors for picnics, camping, birding, fishing and boating. The early morning mists that tend to cover the dam lend a mysterious atmosphere to the first part of the day, and can make it chilly.
Once a year is the famous 'Ebenezer Mile', a mile swim that takes place on the third Saturday of March at the Mountain Yacht Club on the dam.
Ebenzer has a large surface area of 386ha (roughly a third of the size of Hartebeespoort dam) and supplies water to Tzaneen and the surrounding area.