A Mission Station South-West of Stanger in Natal, South Africa. Established in 1844 by Reverend A Grout (1803-1894), of the American Missionary Society and named after him. Formerly it was known as Umvoti. Luthuli was born in 1898 near Bulawayo in a Seventh Day Adventist mission. His father died when he was an infant, and when he was 10 years old, his mother sent him to the family's traditional home, at Groutville mission station, in Natal. Luthuli then lived for a period in the household of his uncle, Martin Luthuli, who was at that time the elected Chief of the Christian Zulus inhabiting Umvoti Mission Reserve, around Groutville.
New Dictionary of South African Place Names by Peter E. Raper