The memorial, designed by Joseph Whitehead and cast in bronze by the Thames Dillon Works, in Surrey, was unveiled on 11 February 1905 by the mayor of Port Elizabeth, Alexander Fettes. It commemorates the horses that suffered and died during the South African War of 1899-1902. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 15 July 1983.

-33° 34' 12", 25° 21' 36"