The lighthouse, which was probably designed and built by Hermann Schutte, is the oldest structure of its kind in South Africa, and was officially opened on 12 April 1824. The original building consisted of a tower surrounded by two lanterns. The present light was erected in 1865, improved in 1906 and electrified in 1929. Standing 19.5m above high water, its light has a range of over 20 km. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 12 January 1973.
-33° 54' 3.4113", 18° 24' 41.8239"