This building was designed by Sir Herbert Baker and was completed in 1903 as the official residence of the Commander-in-Chief of British forces in South Africa. Its first occupant was General, (later Sir) Neville Lyttelton, whose successors, Sir Henry Hildyard and Lord Methuen, probably also lived there. From 1921 to 1932 the building was used by the South African Air Force as its headquarters. The military camp has since been renamed Voortrekkerhoogte. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 26 June 1981.

-25° 47' 13.2", 28° 8' 13.2"

Further Reading neville-lyttelton-and-general-charles-warr