Overlooking the Western side of the Parade is the lofty General Post Office building. It was completed in 1940 on the site of the old Opera House. The exterior displays some interesting carvings and the main hall has six outstanding panels around the walls executed by leading contemporary artists of the forties. At the time of its completion it was the tallest building in Africa. Today, the Banking Hall is used as an indoor market for informal trader.