The building was designed by Sytze Wierda, chief architect of the ZAR's Public Works Department. Its foundation stone was laid on 15 October 1890 and construction was completed on or before 10 April 1891. From 1902 to 1958 the building housed the local magistrate and his staff, but after they were moved to a new building, it was acquired by the Boksburg Municipality who put it at the disposal of a number of community organisations. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 22 March 1963. The old Government Building at Boksburg is situated in Church Street near the station and the well-known Boksburg Lake. The building was designed in 1889, two years after the establishment of the town of Boksburg by Sytze Wierda, the "Goverenements Ingenieur en Architect" of the South African Republic, to accommodate the Mining Commissioner, the Post Office and other Government Offices. On 15th October, 1890, the corner stone was1aid by the Head of Mining, C.J. Joubert. It served as magistrate's office from 1901 to 1958.
-26° 12' 58.308", 28° 15' 41.2215"