Simon's Town Magistrate's Court is next to Goede Hoop in Simon's Town and is located in City of Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa.
This museum depicts the history of the Simon’s Town community, past and present, with an emphasis on the town’s diversity of origins, cultures and religions. Guided tours are available.
The Simon's Town Museum is housed in "The Residency" which was built in 1777 as the winter residence for the Dutch East India Company Governor at the Cape. Simon’s Town Museum was established in 1977 by a group of enthusiastic volunteers, the Friends of the Simon's Town Museum and the Simon's Town Historical Society. The Museum was originally housed in the old Simon’s Town Municipality complex, but moved to "The Residency" in 1982. The building has a long history, having been used as a hospital, post office, school, customs house, police station, gaol and magistrate’s court.
The museum houses many artifacts of life in Simon's Town through the ages and the building itself is of historical significance. The cells can be viewed on request.The cells were built as part of The Residency in 1777, probably as storerooms, similar to those at Groot Constantia. From 1814 until the 1940’s they were gaol cells used to hold petty offenders and those awaiting trial at the Magistrate’s Court above. The new court was built in 1979 and the use of the cells was discontinued. A fascinating item is the Diet Scale on the door which indicates the difference between the diets of Black & White people, men and women! The Courtyard, has a magnificent yellowwood tree planted by the Resident Magistrate in 1948. One of the most popular exhibits at the museum with a special collection of the town mascot's story including newspaper clippings and his Royal Navy dog collar and many photographs. 'Just Nuisance', was a Great Dane dog that befriended Royal Navy Sailors and was buried with full military honours. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 9 December 1988.
-34° 11' 43.4622", 18° 26' 47.956"