A double-storey brick building with heavily ornamented Victorian and neo-Classical Architectural features. It was designed by Architect; D.W. Wentink and built by H. Heath. The cornerstone was laid on 7 June 1898 by President Steyn, and the building was completed on 15 February 1899. Later that year, from 31 May to 4 June, it was the location of unsuccessful negotiations between Presidents Steyn and Kruger, and the British High Commissioner, Sir Alfred Milner, when a last attempt was made to head off looming hostilities between Britain and the Dutch republics. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 15 July 1983.
The first railway line connected Bloemfontein to Cape Town in 1890, resulting in a centrally located station site on the corner of Maitland and Harvey streets, East of Kings Park. Centrally located in both the City and the Nation, in March 1900 at the Battle of Paardeberg during the Second Boer War, the Station became a major point of strategic fighting between the Boers and the British Army, led by General Roberts.
The modern Station is served by Shosholoza Meyl Inter-City Trains connecting it to Johannesburg, Port Elizabeth and East London six times a week; Kimberley twice weekly; and Durban and Cape Town once weekly.
The Industrial area, Hamilton, is situated to the South of the City and generates most of the stations freight traffic. During 2005-2006 over 90,000 tons of beer was received, dispatched from Rosslyn, Gauteng; 56,998 tons of fuel from East London, and 8,872 tons from Durban; and 5,000 tonnes of coal.
-29° 6' 26.676", 26° 10' 23.88"