Riebeeck Square developed during the 18th century, when the town began to expand laterally into the Table Valley, and marks the point where incoming farmers were allowed to outspan their wagons. This changed after the annexation of the Cape by the British in 1806, when a new market was established immediately east of the Castle in 1812 for the benefit of farmers. Because of its proximity to the Malay Quarter, the Square at this stage began to be used by Cape Town's coloured residents. By the 1860s its area had been reduced considerably at which time it became known as Riebeeck Square. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 17 February 1961. Riebeeck Square (block bounded by Shortmarket, Bree, Church and Buitengracht Streets), Cape Town. NOW USED AS A PARKING LOT.
-33° 55' 54.814", 18° 24' 29.6571"