The Mosque was erected by the celebrated Hajee Soofie who immigrated to South Africa in 1895. He was responsible for the construction of 11 other mosques, the establishment of 13 Madrassas and the laying out of a number of Cemeteries. He died in 1911 and his body was interred in the octagonal Mausoleum that he designed. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 17 October 1980.
As soon as Hazrath Soofie Saheb arrived in Durban in 1895 he bought a piece of land on the Northern banks of the Umgeni River in Riverside, a stone’s throw from the Indian Ocean, and built a humble wood and iron House. The main Builder was an Italian. When the Musjid, was completed, it was also used as a Madressa until 1903, when a Parsee by the name of Rustomjee, at his own expense, built a Madressa. An Orphanage was then built to house the Orphans and Destitutes. A portion of the Northerly end of the land was used as a Cemetery, and adjoining this piece of ground an Old Age Home was built. Next to the orphanage was a Kitchen and a place with Ablution Facilities. At the entrance to the Darbar, a Musafirkhana was built to cater for travellers and wayfarers. An Ashurkhana was also erected here. Later, in close proximity to the Darbar , a piece of Ground was bought in Prospect Hall Road for Burial purpose. A portion of the land (Western side) was used for Residential purpose for those who wanted to live near Hazrath Soofie Saheb RA. 
A wood and iron building, which served as a Mawaleekhana (Rehabilitation Centre), was between the present Mazaar Shareef of Hazrath Soofie Saheb RA and the Cemetery. Alcoholics and Drug-related cases were personally attended by him. They were instructed to be physically clean, read Salaah regularly and they were administered home-made Medicine from the Darbar. With the very highly spiritual environment and the profound personality of Hazrath Soofie Saheb RA most of them fully recovered and led normal lives.
The Dawakhana (Clinic) was situated in a room next to the main dormitory of the Orphanage. Every Thursday, people, of all races and religion were attended to by a qualified Hakim and free medicine was dispensed to all.
The construction of the beautiful Entrance to the Darbar, known as the Buland Darwaza and reminiscent of the Moghul Architecture in India, began in the early 1920’s and was completed in the 1930’s with the help of the community especially one Baseerun, wife of Busawan Mia of Sea Cow Lake. Minor extensions and renovations 1took place from time to time to the various Buildings in the Darbar. However in 1968 tragedy struck the Darbar. It was destroyed by bulldozers as a result of the Group Areas Act in order to make way for the White Population Group. Only the Mazaar,Mosque and Cemetery survived. The Darbar had to be re-located to Kenville, in order to continue with its activities in the service of the community. 
-29° 48' 21.0638", 31° 2' 4.238"
Further Reading