The Slangkop Point Lighthouse in Kommetjie has a long history dating back to 1914 when it was scheduled to be completed. When World War 1 broke out, the completion of the lighthouse was pushed back and it was only completed in 1919. The circular lighthouse is made of cast iron and is 33 meters in circumference. It is painted white to stand out against the green backdrop of the mountain. The focal plane of the light is 41 meters above high water so as to be visible below dense mist, flashing four times per 30 seconds. This Lighthouse has been burning brightly since 1914, becoming fully automated in 1979. The tower's light shimmers 33 nautical miles out to sea from its 33 Meter mast!
The lighthouse was established as the result of a commission appointed in 1906 by the Governor of the Cape of Good Hope, His Excellency, the Honorable Sir Francis Hely-Hutchinson, but was commissioned in 1919 only. It became fully automated in 1979. From an original three-man station it has been manned by a Senior Light keeper since then.
The Slangkop lighthouse draws its power from the Cape Municipality and has a standby diesel alternator that takes over in the event of a break in the mains supply!

18° 19' 8.4", -34° 8' 52.8"