Swellendam is situated in the Breede River Valley 190 km, East of Cape Town. The Town lies at the base of the Langeberg Mountains. Founded in 1743 by the Dutch East India Company, it was named after the Cape Governor- Hendrik Swellengrebe and his wife, whose maiden name was Damme. The Town, stretching along a tributary of the Breede River, is surrounded by natural beauty of flowers and scenic Reserves! The Town’s old Cape Dutch buildings including the Drostdy was built by the Dutch East India Company in 1747.
Swellendam is the centre of an agricultural Area producing cattle, sheep, grain, and fruit.