The Building, originally designed in a Cape Dutch idiom, is one of the oldest Farm Houses surviving along the Liesbeeck River. Its original construction dates from 1770 and was built by Cornelis de Waal who purchases the Property in 1746. The House was extended in 1820 and again in 1830, probably by Cornelis Mostert, who acquired the Farm in the early 19th century. It subsequently underwent the addition of a Victorian verandah. After the death of Mostert the property was sub-divided and this portion, together with the main homestead, became part of the Valkenburg Institution. By the 1970s the building had fallen into disrepair and its structural condition had deteriorated considerably. Following representations by the NMC, the site together with its original House, Outbuildings and Cemetery, were transferred to the State in 1985 and were then restored. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 27 June 1986.
Valkenberg Hospital is a psychiatric Hospital in the Tygerberg Eastern Health District of the Metro Region.