In 1892 the first Psychiatric Institution in the Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek, the Krankzinnige Gesticht, was established in 1892. Later being renamed as the Weskoppies Hospital. Further Construction on this complex, which includes seven buildings, was begun in 1904, and was completed in 1907. It is an imposing and well-ordered group of Edwardian structures located in a Sylvan setting. The Weskoppies Hospital admitted its first patient in 1892 and is today the biggest of its kind in South Africa, as well as the Oldest Psychiatric Hospital, in Gauteng. It was Built on the site of the old Botanical Garden, which is situated to the West of the City Centre. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 31 July 1981.
-25° 45' 50.4872", 28° 9' 41.1609"
mon ref: 9/2/258/0069