Adderley Street

The Heerengracht was Cape Town's main street, running from the foreshore to the foot of Government Avenue. In 1850 its name was changed to Adderley Street in honour of Charles B Adderley, a British member of Parliament who supported the Colony's successful campaign against British plans to turn the Cape into a convict station. Adderley was similarly honoured by Port Elizabeth.