This impressive building surmounted by a clock tower was built in 1912-13 and was officially opened on 7 June 1913 by the Minister of Railways & Harbours, Mr Henry Burton. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation in 1982. The Edwardian-era red brick Muizenberg Station with its arched sandstone entrances and beautiful teak clock tower is reminiscent of the golden days of Muizenberg. The fine proportions and generosity of space of the interior is typical of the glamourous and elegant style of 1920's architecture. Designed by a pupil of Sir Herbert Baker, the station was opened in 1913, it is one of Cape Town's most well known historical buildings. Now a National Heritage Site, Muizenberg Station is also the starting point of the "Historic Mile" that stetches to St James.
In the late 1800’s Muizenberg was the trendiest holiday resort of Southern Africa, a spin-off of the arrival of the railway in 1883. Many thousands of day-trippers suddenly had access to the beach where previously only the rich who owned horse and carriage could go. As Muizenberg’s popularity grew, the need for a station epitomizing the significance of this holiday spot arose.
At the turn of the century diamond and gold barons ‘took to tea’ on the open air balcony of used to be the station tearoom in the top section. Today it houses the popular Fogey's Restaurant with excellent views over False Bay. The ground floor is still a fully functional Metro train station. The train journey from Cape Town to Simon’s Town, known as “The Southern Line”, is worth the trip for the awesome views of the ocean as it snakes along the coast from Muizenberg all the way to Simon's Town.